Skip to main content

Madagascar cyclone death toll rises to 59

Flooding and fierce winds have pushed Madagascar's death toll from Cyclone Gezani to 59, with more than a dozen people still unaccounted for, the country's disaster agency said on Monday. It is the latest in a string of tropical storms to batter the southern African island in recent months, underscoring its vulnerability to increasingly extreme weather fuelled by climate change. At least 59 people had been killed countrywide by the cyclone, which slammed into Madagascar on February 10, the National Office for Risk and Disaster Management (BNRGC) said, while more than 16,000 people have been displaced by storm waters. A previous report had put the death toll at 43. Most of the fatalities were reported in the port city of Toamasina on the east coast, formerly known as Tamatave, Madagascar's second-largest urban centre with around 400,000 inhabitants. Another 15 people remain missing nearly a week after the cyclone struck, according to BNRGC. The damage to housing was extensiv...

Iranian FM says he will meet IAEA director today

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqhchi said he will meet with the director of the UN nuclear watchdog on Monday, the day before a second round of US-Iran nuclear talks in Geneva. Iran and the US renewed negotiations earlier this month to tackle their decades-long dispute over Tehran's nuclear programme and avert a new military confrontation as US warships, including a second aircraft carrier, are deploying to the region. "I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal. What is not on the table: submission before threats," Araqhchi said on X. Joined by nuclear experts, I will meet @rafaelmgrossi on Mon for deep technical discussion. Also meeting @badralbusaidi ahead of diplomacy with U.S. on Tues. I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal. What is not on the table: submission before threats — Seyed Abbas Araghchi (@araghchi) February 16, 2026 Read: Iran open to compromises to reach nuclear deal with US, minister tells BBC While Washington has sought to expand the scope of talks to non-nuclear issues like Iran's missile stockpile, Tehran says it is only willing to discuss curbs on its nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief and won't accept zero uranium enrichment. Prior to the US joining Israel in striking Iranian nuclear sites in June, Iran-US nuclear talks had stalled over Washington's demand that Tehran forgo enrichment on its soil, which the US views as a pathway to an Iranian nuclear weapon. Iran says its nuclear programme is solely for civilian purposes and is ready to assuage concerns regarding nuclear weapons by "building trust that enrichment is and will stay for peaceful purposes." Read more: Pakistan denounces Israel’s settlement expansion in West Bank Araqhchi said he will meet International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) head Rafael Grossi on Monday, accompanied by nuclear experts, "for deep technical discussions." The IAEA has been calling on Iran for months to say what happened to its stockpile of 440 kg of highly enriched uranium following Israeli-US strikes and let inspections fully resume, including in three key sites that were bombed in June: Natanz, Fordow and Isfahan. While Iran allowed the UN nuclear watchdog to inspect declared nuclear facilities that were not targeted last June, it says that the IAEA must clarify its stance regarding US and Israeli strikes and adds that the bombed sites are unsafe for inspections. The IAEA and Iran announced an agreement in September in Cairo that was supposed to pave the way towards full inspections and verification, but Tehran scrapped the agreement after Western powers reinstated UN sanctions on Iran. Israel on US-Iran deal Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told US President Donald Trump that any US agreement with Iran must include the complete dismantling of Tehran’s nuclear infrastructure, not a halt to uranium enrichment. “There shall be no enrichment capability — not stopping the enrichment process, but dismantling the equipment and the infrastructure that allows you to enrich in the first place,” he said, adding that enriched material must leave Iran under any future deal. The United States and Iran resumed talks earlier this month to address their decades-old dispute over Iran’s nuclear programme and avert the risk of military escalation. US officials told Reuters that Washington has deployed a second aircraft carrier to the region and is preparing for the possibility of a sustained military campaign if negotiations fail. Netanyahu said he remains sceptical of a deal.

from Latest World News, International News | Breaking World News https://ift.tt/FMsmkiW

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At least 32 miners dead after bridge fails at cobalt site in southeast DR Congo

A bridge collapsed at a cobalt mine in southeast Democratic Republic of Congo killing at least 32 wildcat miners, a regional government official said Sunday. The bridge came down Saturday onto a flooded zone at the mine in Lualaba province, Roy Kaumba Mayonde, the provincial interior minister, told reporters. He said 32 bodies had been recovered and more were being searched for. The DRC produces more than 70 percent of the world supply of cobalt, which is essential for batteries used in electric cars, many laptop computers and mobile phones. More than 200,000 people are estimated to be working in giant illegal cobalt mines in the giant central African country. Local authorities said the bridge collapsed at the Kalando mine, about 42 kilometres (26 miles) southeast of the Lualaba provincial capital, Kolwezi. "Despite a formal ban on access to the site because of the heavy rain and the risk of a landslide, wildcat miners forced their way into the quarry," said Mayonde. He said ...

US, Philippines kick off joint military drills in South China Sea with 16,000 troops

Some 16,000 US and Philippine troops kicked off the annual joint military drills on Monday in the West Philippine Sea (WPS), local media reported. WPS is the official designation by Philippines to the parts of the South China Sea that are included in the country's exclusive economic zone. The 19-day exercises, dubbed "Balikatan 2024," will involve around 5,000 Philippine and 11,000 US troops, making it the largest joint military drills between the two allies conducted in decades, local English daily Manila Times reported citing the military. A total of 14 nations, including Japan and India, will take part in the drills as observers amid mounting maritime tensions in the South China Sea. Contingents from the Australian Defence Force and the French Navy will also join the exercise as participants. Read also: China urges US to stop using Philippines as a pawn to destabilise South China Sea France will join the group sail but will only navigate on the edge of the Philippine E...

US, Chinese defence chiefs hold first talks since 2022

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin spoke via video teleconference Tuesday with his Chinese counterpart Dong Jun in their first engagement in more than a year, the Pentagon said. They discussed bilateral relations as well as regional and global security issues, Pentagon press secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder told reporters. "During the discussion, Secretary Austin emphasized the importance of continuing to open lines of military-to-military communication between the US and the People's Republic of China. "He also underscored the importance of respect for high seas freedom of navigation guaranteed under international law, especially in the South China Sea, and reiterated that the United States will continue to fly, sail and operate safely and responsibly wherever international law allows," Ryder added. Read also: US, China need 'tough' conversations, Yellen tells Chinese premier Austin reiterated that the US remains committed to its One China Policy, which is guide...