Skip to main content

Madagascar cyclone death toll rises to 59

Flooding and fierce winds have pushed Madagascar's death toll from Cyclone Gezani to 59, with more than a dozen people still unaccounted for, the country's disaster agency said on Monday. It is the latest in a string of tropical storms to batter the southern African island in recent months, underscoring its vulnerability to increasingly extreme weather fuelled by climate change. At least 59 people had been killed countrywide by the cyclone, which slammed into Madagascar on February 10, the National Office for Risk and Disaster Management (BNRGC) said, while more than 16,000 people have been displaced by storm waters. A previous report had put the death toll at 43. Most of the fatalities were reported in the port city of Toamasina on the east coast, formerly known as Tamatave, Madagascar's second-largest urban centre with around 400,000 inhabitants. Another 15 people remain missing nearly a week after the cyclone struck, according to BNRGC. The damage to housing was extensiv...

PM Shehbaz extends Chinese New Year greetings to President Xi Jinping

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Monday extended heartfelt greetings to Chinese President Xi Jinping, the people of China and Chinese communities worldwide on the advent of Chinese New Year 2026 — the Year of the Horse. In a post on X, the premier said the Horse symbolises energy, resilience and speed — values that resonate with the shared journey of Pakistan and China. Describing the two countries as “iron brothers”, he said they were "bound by an All-Weather Strategic Cooperative Partnership and a shared vision of peace, development and regional connectivity." Gong Xi Fa Cai! As we welcome the Chinese New Year 2026 - the Year of the Horse - I extend my heartfelt greetings to President Xi Jinping, the brotherly people of China, and to Chinese communities around the world. The Horse symbolizes energy, resilience and speed - values that… — Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) February 16, 2026 He further expressed hope that the new year would further strengthen the enduring friendship between the two nations and deepen bilateral cooperation for the prosperity of their peoples. “The entire Pakistani nation joins me in wishing our Chinese brothers and sisters continued good health, success and forward momentum in the Year of the Horse,” he added. Extended spring festival holidays Every year, hundreds of millions of people across China travel during the lunar new year holidays to reunite with family or for leisure, making it the world’s largest annual human migration. Known as "Chunyun," the travel rush is often regarded as a barometer of the country’s economic health and a stress test for its vast transport system. This year’s rush began on February 2 and will continue for 40 days, with official Spring Festival holidays running from February 15 to 23. Officials expect a record 9.5 billion domestic trips, up from about 9.02 billion last year, boosted by new tracking of road travel on major expressways. Reuters reported that by February 10, China’s railways had already transported over one billion passengers, while flights in the first week reached 16.32 million of an expected 95 million during the period. Read More: Upcoming Chinese New Year creates ripples worldwide Domestic travel has largely divided between tropical destinations such as Hainan and winter sports hubs like Changbai Mountain, while international trips are rising with a preference for summery locations such as Thailand and Australia. Russia has emerged as a new popular destination following its December 2025 visa relaxation for Chinese tourists, whereas demand for Japan has declined amid diplomatic tensions. This year’s rush is further bolstered by the extension of the Spring Festival break by a day and China’s widened visa-free entry policy for more than 45 countries, allowing stays of up to 30 days for visitors from Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and other regions.

from Latest World News, International News | Breaking World News https://ift.tt/QMHpbke

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At least 32 miners dead after bridge fails at cobalt site in southeast DR Congo

A bridge collapsed at a cobalt mine in southeast Democratic Republic of Congo killing at least 32 wildcat miners, a regional government official said Sunday. The bridge came down Saturday onto a flooded zone at the mine in Lualaba province, Roy Kaumba Mayonde, the provincial interior minister, told reporters. He said 32 bodies had been recovered and more were being searched for. The DRC produces more than 70 percent of the world supply of cobalt, which is essential for batteries used in electric cars, many laptop computers and mobile phones. More than 200,000 people are estimated to be working in giant illegal cobalt mines in the giant central African country. Local authorities said the bridge collapsed at the Kalando mine, about 42 kilometres (26 miles) southeast of the Lualaba provincial capital, Kolwezi. "Despite a formal ban on access to the site because of the heavy rain and the risk of a landslide, wildcat miners forced their way into the quarry," said Mayonde. He said ...

US, Philippines kick off joint military drills in South China Sea with 16,000 troops

Some 16,000 US and Philippine troops kicked off the annual joint military drills on Monday in the West Philippine Sea (WPS), local media reported. WPS is the official designation by Philippines to the parts of the South China Sea that are included in the country's exclusive economic zone. The 19-day exercises, dubbed "Balikatan 2024," will involve around 5,000 Philippine and 11,000 US troops, making it the largest joint military drills between the two allies conducted in decades, local English daily Manila Times reported citing the military. A total of 14 nations, including Japan and India, will take part in the drills as observers amid mounting maritime tensions in the South China Sea. Contingents from the Australian Defence Force and the French Navy will also join the exercise as participants. Read also: China urges US to stop using Philippines as a pawn to destabilise South China Sea France will join the group sail but will only navigate on the edge of the Philippine E...

US, Chinese defence chiefs hold first talks since 2022

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin spoke via video teleconference Tuesday with his Chinese counterpart Dong Jun in their first engagement in more than a year, the Pentagon said. They discussed bilateral relations as well as regional and global security issues, Pentagon press secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder told reporters. "During the discussion, Secretary Austin emphasized the importance of continuing to open lines of military-to-military communication between the US and the People's Republic of China. "He also underscored the importance of respect for high seas freedom of navigation guaranteed under international law, especially in the South China Sea, and reiterated that the United States will continue to fly, sail and operate safely and responsibly wherever international law allows," Ryder added. Read also: US, China need 'tough' conversations, Yellen tells Chinese premier Austin reiterated that the US remains committed to its One China Policy, which is guide...