Skip to main content

China and Russia rally behind Cuba as US indicts Raul Castro

China said it supported Cuba and urged the United States to "stop brandishing the judicial stick" against the country, after Washington indicted the Caribbean island's former leader Raul Castro on murder charges. The US charges against the 94-year-old former president -- announced on Wednesday -- fuelled speculation that President Donald Trump will try to topple the communist state. "The US side should stop brandishing the sanctions stick and the judicial stick against Cuba and stop threatening force at every turn," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun told a press briefing Thursday, when asked about the US charges. "China firmly supports Cuba in safeguarding its national sovereignty and national dignity and opposes external interference," Guo said. Also Read: Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks Russia also said on Thursday that it would provide active support ​to Cuba despite attempts by the United ‌States to intimid...

87 Gaza-bound aid flotilla activists launch hunger strike over Israeli detention

Eighty-seven activists aboard the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, who are being held by Israel, have begun a hunger strike to protest their detention and show solidarity with Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails. In a post on X on Tuesday, the flotilla said that for the second time in three weeks, the Israeli army, which claimed to be “the most moral army,” had abducted their companions from international waters. It added that “in protest of their illegal abduction and in solidarity with the over 9,500 Palestinian hostages held in Israeli dungeons, at least 87 flotilla participants have committed to a hunger strike until they are released.” The flotilla called for the release of all detainees held by Israeli authorities and urged governments to condemn the “act of piracy.” The flotilla also called for lifting the blockade on the Gaza Strip and for the release of all abductees from the flotilla, as well as all Palestinian prisoners. Read: Israel says 430 Gaza flotilla activists being transferred to Israel For the 2nd time in 3 weeks, the most moral army has abducted our comrades from international waters. In protest of their illegal abduction and in solidarity with the over 9500 Palestinian hostages held in israeli dungeons, at least 87 participants committed to a hunger strike.… pic.twitter.com/7rzHJfAZhk — Global Sumud Flotilla (@gbsumudflotilla) May 19, 2026 Global Sumud Flotilla on Tuesday said that all 50 vessels in its aid convoy had been seized by Israel. Together, they were carrying 428 people from 44 countries, including 78 Turkish citizens. The Israeli Foreign Ministry said in a post on X that all activists had been transferred to Israeli vessels and are on their way to Israel, where they would be able to meet with their consular representatives. Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives. This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at… — Israel Foreign Ministry (@IsraelMFA) May 19, 2026 The flotilla departed on Thursday from the Turkish district of Marmaris in a new attempt to break the illegal Israeli blockade imposed on Gaza since 2007. This was not the first such incident involving the flotilla. Read More: Pakistan, nine countries condemn Israeli attack on Gaza-bound flotilla In late April, the Israeli army attacked flotilla boats in international waters off the Greek island of Crete. The convoy at the time included 345 participants from 39 countries, including Turkish citizens. Israel has imposed a crippling blockade on the Gaza Strip since 2007, leaving the territory’s 2.4 million people on the verge of starvation. The Israeli army launched a brutal two-year offensive on Gaza in October 2023, killing more than 72,000 people, injuring over 172,000 and causing massive destruction across the besieged territory.

from Latest World News, International News | Breaking World News https://ift.tt/ki1hqUv

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At least 32 miners dead after bridge fails at cobalt site in southeast DR Congo

A bridge collapsed at a cobalt mine in southeast Democratic Republic of Congo killing at least 32 wildcat miners, a regional government official said Sunday. The bridge came down Saturday onto a flooded zone at the mine in Lualaba province, Roy Kaumba Mayonde, the provincial interior minister, told reporters. He said 32 bodies had been recovered and more were being searched for. The DRC produces more than 70 percent of the world supply of cobalt, which is essential for batteries used in electric cars, many laptop computers and mobile phones. More than 200,000 people are estimated to be working in giant illegal cobalt mines in the giant central African country. Local authorities said the bridge collapsed at the Kalando mine, about 42 kilometres (26 miles) southeast of the Lualaba provincial capital, Kolwezi. "Despite a formal ban on access to the site because of the heavy rain and the risk of a landslide, wildcat miners forced their way into the quarry," said Mayonde. He said ...

Indian devotees splurge on jets, gold idols as Hindu temple opens

The private jet parking lots at airports near the Indian city of Ayodhya are full and the shops have run out of gold-plated idols, as wealthy devotees prepare for the invite-only opening ceremony of one of Hinduism's holiest temples. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Asia's richest man Mukesh Ambani are among the 8,000 or so attendees at Monday's inauguration event for the Ram Temple, which devotees believe is built on the birthplace of Lord Ram, a sacred Hindu deity. The construction of the temple, which began after the Supreme Court awarded the site to Hindus in 2019 more than two decades after a Hindu mob razed a mosque there, triggering deadly riots, fulfils a key campaign promise of Modi and his Hindu nationalist party. Read BJP-promised temple transforms Ayodhya: Muslims, locals feel neglected The opening ceremony, organised by the trust that built the temple, comes months before a national election which the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party is widely expected to w...

Indian opposition supporters detained ahead of protest at Modi's home

Police in the Indian capital detained dozens of opposition supporters on Tuesday as they attempted to march to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's residence to protest against last week's arrest of Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. Kejriwal, a key opposition leader whose Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has governed the national capital territory for a decade, was arrested by the financial crime-fighting agency on corruption charges relating to the city's liquor policy, weeks before India begins voting in general elections on April 19. He was remanded to the custody of the Enforcement Directorate until March 28, with the lawyer for the agency arguing he was the "kingpin" in the case and needed to be interrogated. Kejriwal's party, all of whose main leaders are now imprisoned in connection with the case, says he has been "falsely arrested" in a "fabricated case". The federal government and Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) deny political interfere...