Gaza remained the world’s deadliest place for humanitarian workers for the third consecutive year, with 186 aid personnel killed in 2025, the United Nations humanitarian office said Wednesday. Sudan ranked second, with 71 aid workers killed during the year, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a statement marking World Humanitarian Day. Worldwide, 907 humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, setting another record for violence against aid personnel, according to figures from Humanitarian Outcomes’ Aid Worker Security Database. Although the annual death toll fell slightly to 350, the UN humanitarian office said the overall level of violence showed no sign of easing. A further 322 aid workers were injured and 235 kidnapped. Read: UN urges support for Afghan women “More than 1,000 aid workers have been killed in just three years and that is utterly unacceptable,” said Tom Fletcher, UN under-s...
Indonesia has experienced ongoing intense seismic activity since Saturday's 7.7-magnitude earthquake, recording 2,119 aftershocks so far, local media reported.
Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency warned the sequence could continue for another three to four weeks, Jakarta Globe reported.
The aftershocks ranged from 1.3 to 6.2 magnitude, with 24 measuring above 5, and 70 of them were felt by residents, the agency's director of earthquake and tsunami, Wijayanto, said.
On Saturday, a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck East Nusa Tenggara, where the popular tourist hub of Labuan Bajo is located, causing widespread damage. So far, 68 people have been confirmed dead, while 213 others injured, according to the state-run Antara News agency.
Meanwhile, authorities have temporarily closed several tourist attractions on Flores for safety inspections, including Rangko Cave in West Manggarai, Wae Rebo Traditional Village in Manggarai, and Kelimutu National Park in Ende.
Read: Search for Indonesia earthquake victims underway
The National Disaster Management Agency on Monday said that more than 12,000 people were “scared of aftershocks” and remained displaced in compounds and villages.
Joint teams reported that at least 914 houses were severely damaged, 126 moderately damaged, and 317 lightly damaged, along with damage to 93 educational facilities, 36 health facilities, and 38 government offices.
Meanwhile, the Euro-Mediterranean Seismological Centre reported a separate 5.8-magnitude earthquake on Tuesday in Indonesia’s Batu Islands area of North Sumatra, which was recorded as 5.6 magnitude by the United States Geological Survey.
from Latest World News, International News | Breaking World News https://ift.tt/RqsFSCK
from Latest World News, International News | Breaking World News https://ift.tt/RqsFSCK
Comments
Post a Comment