Skip to main content

Russian ballistic missiles kill 12 in Ukraine's Kyiv, spark fires

Russian ballistic missiles ‌killed 12 people and injured more than 30 in Kyiv early on Thursday, authorities said, damaging buildings and severing power supply to some parts of the Ukrainian capital. A fire broke out, and the upper floors of a nine-storey residential block were destroyed in the ​city's Solomianskyi district, where seven people were killed, Mayor Vitali Klitschko said, calling for Friday to be ​observed as a day of mourning. Two other districts also suffered damage, Klitschko said on the ⁠Telegram messaging app, with non-residential facilities, warehouses, a school and a children's hospital hit. Power company DTEK said it restored ​electricity to more than half of the roughly 90,000 homes left without power in the capital following the attack. Russia ​has stepped up air attacks on Ukraine in recent months, trying to exploit its smaller neighbour's critical shortage of interceptors to down ballistic missiles. Read: Russia hits steel plant i...

Russian ballistic missiles kill 12 in Ukraine's Kyiv, spark fires

Russian ballistic missiles ‌killed 12 people and injured more than 30 in Kyiv early on Thursday, authorities said, damaging buildings and severing power supply to some parts of the Ukrainian capital. A fire broke out, and the upper floors of a nine-storey residential block were destroyed in the ​city's Solomianskyi district, where seven people were killed, Mayor Vitali Klitschko said, calling for Friday to be ​observed as a day of mourning. Two other districts also suffered damage, Klitschko said on the ⁠Telegram messaging app, with non-residential facilities, warehouses, a school and a children's hospital hit. Power company DTEK said it restored ​electricity to more than half of the roughly 90,000 homes left without power in the capital following the attack. Russia ​has stepped up air attacks on Ukraine in recent months, trying to exploit its smaller neighbour's critical shortage of interceptors to down ballistic missiles. Read: Russia hits steel plant in new strikes on Ukraine The Russian defence ministry said Moscow attacked Kyiv and the surrounding region with airstrikes and drones, hitting facilities producing drone components, ​a military depot and a logistics hub, as well as other targets. Explosions rip through the city A Reuters witness reported ​hearing more than a dozen explosions. In the region around the Ukrainian capital, another person was killed, an official said on ‌Telegram. Ukraine's emergency ⁠service showed video of servicemen battling a blaze in a building and helping people to escape facilities destroyed during the night in Kyiv. Ukraine has also increased its attacks on Russia, targeting oil facilities and logistics infrastructure to try to undermine Moscow's ability to wage war. Diplomatic efforts have failed so far to yield a lasting ceasefire in the war, ​which started with Russia's full-scale invasion ​of Ukraine in February ⁠2022. A drone crashed into NATO and European Union member Romania during the Russian attack on Ukraine, the Romanian defence ministry said on Thursday. A drone also crossed Moldova's airspace, ​the country's military said. Read more: War in Ukraine: battle of perspectives Ukraine had handed proposals to US negotiators, Steve Witkoff and ​Jared Kushner, for ⁠a plan to end the war, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said this month, and he has also repeatedly asked for interceptor missiles to ward off missile attacks. Russia did not receive specific proposals for possible new meetings with US negotiators, foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria ⁠Zakharova told ​the Izvestia newspaper, but added that Moscow would be ready to arrange a meeting ​at short notice. Witkoff and Kushner were last in Moscow last January and have not yet visited Kyiv.

from Latest World News, International News | Breaking World News https://ift.tt/lvt2Uzo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At least 32 miners dead after bridge fails at cobalt site in southeast DR Congo

A bridge collapsed at a cobalt mine in southeast Democratic Republic of Congo killing at least 32 wildcat miners, a regional government official said Sunday. The bridge came down Saturday onto a flooded zone at the mine in Lualaba province, Roy Kaumba Mayonde, the provincial interior minister, told reporters. He said 32 bodies had been recovered and more were being searched for. The DRC produces more than 70 percent of the world supply of cobalt, which is essential for batteries used in electric cars, many laptop computers and mobile phones. More than 200,000 people are estimated to be working in giant illegal cobalt mines in the giant central African country. Local authorities said the bridge collapsed at the Kalando mine, about 42 kilometres (26 miles) southeast of the Lualaba provincial capital, Kolwezi. "Despite a formal ban on access to the site because of the heavy rain and the risk of a landslide, wildcat miners forced their way into the quarry," said Mayonde. He said ...

Indian devotees splurge on jets, gold idols as Hindu temple opens

The private jet parking lots at airports near the Indian city of Ayodhya are full and the shops have run out of gold-plated idols, as wealthy devotees prepare for the invite-only opening ceremony of one of Hinduism's holiest temples. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Asia's richest man Mukesh Ambani are among the 8,000 or so attendees at Monday's inauguration event for the Ram Temple, which devotees believe is built on the birthplace of Lord Ram, a sacred Hindu deity. The construction of the temple, which began after the Supreme Court awarded the site to Hindus in 2019 more than two decades after a Hindu mob razed a mosque there, triggering deadly riots, fulfils a key campaign promise of Modi and his Hindu nationalist party. Read BJP-promised temple transforms Ayodhya: Muslims, locals feel neglected The opening ceremony, organised by the trust that built the temple, comes months before a national election which the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party is widely expected to w...

Arab countries, Pakistan likely to observe Eid on same day

The International Astronomy Centre confirmed on Wednesday that the crescent moon of Shawwal will be impossible to sight on Saturday, March 29, across all regions of the Arab and Islamic world. This is due to the moon setting before the sun, with the conjunction occurring after sunset. As a result, observing the crescent moon, whether by the naked eye, telescopes, or other means, will be unfeasible on March 29. For countries requiring an actual sighting to mark the start of Shawwal, Ramadan will likely extend to 30 days, with Eid Al Fitr falling on Monday, March 31. However, in some regions where the conjunction occurs before sunset, allowing the moon to set after sunset, some countries may choose to declare Eid on Sunday, March 30, following traditional moon-sighting practices. Notably, a partial solar eclipse will be visible at noon on Saturday in parts of the western Arab world, including Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia. This event serves as definitive proof that the cresce...