Skip to main content

Search continues for 22 after bulk carrier sinks off India

India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off ​the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged ‌cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said. The two rescued Chinese seafarers said ​the vessel developed a list on Friday and ​sank within eight minutes, forcing the crew to abandon ⁠the ship, Shyam Jagannathan, director general of India's Maritime Administration, ​told Reuters. Jagannathan said the chances of finding survivors generally fall ​sharply after 12 hours, but rescuers were continuing the search. Twenty-two crew members remain missing from the Ocean Winner, including 18 Chinese ​nationals, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi, according to ​the Indian Coast Guard. The Indian Navy is closely coordinating with the ‌Coast ⁠Guard to locate the remaining crew, the Navy said in a post on X. Read: 115 vessels, 2,500 seafarers evacuated from Strait of Hormuz: UN agency ...

Search continues for 22 after bulk carrier sinks off India

India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off ​the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged ‌cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said. The two rescued Chinese seafarers said ​the vessel developed a list on Friday and ​sank within eight minutes, forcing the crew to abandon ⁠the ship, Shyam Jagannathan, director general of India's Maritime Administration, ​told Reuters. Jagannathan said the chances of finding survivors generally fall ​sharply after 12 hours, but rescuers were continuing the search. Twenty-two crew members remain missing from the Ocean Winner, including 18 Chinese ​nationals, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi, according to ​the Indian Coast Guard. The Indian Navy is closely coordinating with the ‌Coast ⁠Guard to locate the remaining crew, the Navy said in a post on X. Read: 115 vessels, 2,500 seafarers evacuated from Strait of Hormuz: UN agency The Coast Guard has sent two vessels from Sri Vijaya Puram, formerly known as ​Port Blair, for ​the search-and-rescue ⁠operation, a Coast Guard spokesperson said. The Ocean Winner was carrying iron ore bound for ​China after departing from India's eastern Paradip ​port on ⁠Friday, according to an initial report prepared from India's Maritime Administration. The cargo ship sank about 240 nautical miles from ⁠the ​port, according to government sources. The ​cause of the sinking was not immediately known.

from Latest World News, International News | Breaking World News https://ift.tt/TLx62kA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At least 32 miners dead after bridge fails at cobalt site in southeast DR Congo

A bridge collapsed at a cobalt mine in southeast Democratic Republic of Congo killing at least 32 wildcat miners, a regional government official said Sunday. The bridge came down Saturday onto a flooded zone at the mine in Lualaba province, Roy Kaumba Mayonde, the provincial interior minister, told reporters. He said 32 bodies had been recovered and more were being searched for. The DRC produces more than 70 percent of the world supply of cobalt, which is essential for batteries used in electric cars, many laptop computers and mobile phones. More than 200,000 people are estimated to be working in giant illegal cobalt mines in the giant central African country. Local authorities said the bridge collapsed at the Kalando mine, about 42 kilometres (26 miles) southeast of the Lualaba provincial capital, Kolwezi. "Despite a formal ban on access to the site because of the heavy rain and the risk of a landslide, wildcat miners forced their way into the quarry," said Mayonde. He said ...

Indian devotees splurge on jets, gold idols as Hindu temple opens

The private jet parking lots at airports near the Indian city of Ayodhya are full and the shops have run out of gold-plated idols, as wealthy devotees prepare for the invite-only opening ceremony of one of Hinduism's holiest temples. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Asia's richest man Mukesh Ambani are among the 8,000 or so attendees at Monday's inauguration event for the Ram Temple, which devotees believe is built on the birthplace of Lord Ram, a sacred Hindu deity. The construction of the temple, which began after the Supreme Court awarded the site to Hindus in 2019 more than two decades after a Hindu mob razed a mosque there, triggering deadly riots, fulfils a key campaign promise of Modi and his Hindu nationalist party. Read BJP-promised temple transforms Ayodhya: Muslims, locals feel neglected The opening ceremony, organised by the trust that built the temple, comes months before a national election which the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party is widely expected to w...

Arab countries, Pakistan likely to observe Eid on same day

The International Astronomy Centre confirmed on Wednesday that the crescent moon of Shawwal will be impossible to sight on Saturday, March 29, across all regions of the Arab and Islamic world. This is due to the moon setting before the sun, with the conjunction occurring after sunset. As a result, observing the crescent moon, whether by the naked eye, telescopes, or other means, will be unfeasible on March 29. For countries requiring an actual sighting to mark the start of Shawwal, Ramadan will likely extend to 30 days, with Eid Al Fitr falling on Monday, March 31. However, in some regions where the conjunction occurs before sunset, allowing the moon to set after sunset, some countries may choose to declare Eid on Sunday, March 30, following traditional moon-sighting practices. Notably, a partial solar eclipse will be visible at noon on Saturday in parts of the western Arab world, including Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia. This event serves as definitive proof that the cresce...