Skip to main content

Search continues for 22 after bulk carrier sinks off India

India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off ​the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged ‌cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said. The two rescued Chinese seafarers said ​the vessel developed a list on Friday and ​sank within eight minutes, forcing the crew to abandon ⁠the ship, Shyam Jagannathan, director general of India's Maritime Administration, ​told Reuters. Jagannathan said the chances of finding survivors generally fall ​sharply after 12 hours, but rescuers were continuing the search. Twenty-two crew members remain missing from the Ocean Winner, including 18 Chinese ​nationals, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi, according to ​the Indian Coast Guard. The Indian Navy is closely coordinating with the ‌Coast ⁠Guard to locate the remaining crew, the Navy said in a post on X. Read: 115 vessels, 2,500 seafarers evacuated from Strait of Hormuz: UN agency ...

US hits Canadian goods with 50% tariffs after trade talks fail

The US imposed 50% tariffs on some ‌Canadian goods on Saturday after the two longstanding allies failed to reach a trade deal, with each side accusing the other of derailing days of talks. The tariffs that came into effect just after midnight (0900 PKT) on some $20 billion of Canadian goods - things like wooden ice hockey sticks that are rarely used anymore - are far ​from an economic game-changer for the largest US trading partner after Mexico. That represents just over 5% of Canada's exports to ​the US. But the new tariffs mark an increase in tensions between US President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Mark Carney, ⁠and will likely make broader talks to renew the US-Mexico-Canada free trade agreement more difficult. Carney said he had suspended trade negotiations and ​Canada would retaliate "dollar for dollar" on the new tariffs. "I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the US and have directed Canada’s negotiators to ​return to Ottawa," Carney said in a statement. "They (negotiators) have worked hard, in good faith, to defend the interests of Canadians throughout these negotiations up until the very last minute," he said. "However, last-minute changes in the US proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal." Read: US-Canada trade war escalates Carney, the only person to ​ever run the central banks of two major economies, was elected last year on promises to stand up to Trump, and remains broadly ​popular. Polls show most Canadians oppose making any concessions to Trump. Hours earlier, the two sides had seemed close to an agreement that sources said would have ‌lowered ⁠tariffs on steel, aluminium and autos and potentially brought American alcohol back to Canadian liquor stores. "Tonight, Canada declined to finalise the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week," US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said during a White House briefing. "This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States, which is the fastest-growing economy in the G7," Greer said. A senior Trump administration official said the US offer ​would have put Canada in the ​best tariff position of any ⁠major exporter to the US, but that Canada had sought additional concessions, especially on steel, aluminium, autos and softwood lumber. No additional talks are scheduled as the US implements the new duties, the official said. Trump last month ​threatened to impose a raft of duties on a range of Canadian imports including wine, furniture, ​dairy products, cement, clothing, ⁠fishing rods, and hockey equipment. The tariffs, which do not qualify for preferential treatment under the US-Mexico-Canada free-trade agreement, open up some already vulnerable sectors to potential severe damage that could lead to job losses and business closures, trade experts have said. The decision by the US administration followed three days of ⁠talks in ​Washington between Canada's minister for trade with the US, Dominic LeBlanc, and Greer. The new ​duties add to existing US tariffs on steel, lumber and autos, which have taken a major hit in the last 18 months, although the malaise has been largely contained within ​these sectors.

from Latest World News, International News | Breaking World News https://ift.tt/1sveSWr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At least 32 miners dead after bridge fails at cobalt site in southeast DR Congo

A bridge collapsed at a cobalt mine in southeast Democratic Republic of Congo killing at least 32 wildcat miners, a regional government official said Sunday. The bridge came down Saturday onto a flooded zone at the mine in Lualaba province, Roy Kaumba Mayonde, the provincial interior minister, told reporters. He said 32 bodies had been recovered and more were being searched for. The DRC produces more than 70 percent of the world supply of cobalt, which is essential for batteries used in electric cars, many laptop computers and mobile phones. More than 200,000 people are estimated to be working in giant illegal cobalt mines in the giant central African country. Local authorities said the bridge collapsed at the Kalando mine, about 42 kilometres (26 miles) southeast of the Lualaba provincial capital, Kolwezi. "Despite a formal ban on access to the site because of the heavy rain and the risk of a landslide, wildcat miners forced their way into the quarry," said Mayonde. He said ...

Indian devotees splurge on jets, gold idols as Hindu temple opens

The private jet parking lots at airports near the Indian city of Ayodhya are full and the shops have run out of gold-plated idols, as wealthy devotees prepare for the invite-only opening ceremony of one of Hinduism's holiest temples. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Asia's richest man Mukesh Ambani are among the 8,000 or so attendees at Monday's inauguration event for the Ram Temple, which devotees believe is built on the birthplace of Lord Ram, a sacred Hindu deity. The construction of the temple, which began after the Supreme Court awarded the site to Hindus in 2019 more than two decades after a Hindu mob razed a mosque there, triggering deadly riots, fulfils a key campaign promise of Modi and his Hindu nationalist party. Read BJP-promised temple transforms Ayodhya: Muslims, locals feel neglected The opening ceremony, organised by the trust that built the temple, comes months before a national election which the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party is widely expected to w...

Arab countries, Pakistan likely to observe Eid on same day

The International Astronomy Centre confirmed on Wednesday that the crescent moon of Shawwal will be impossible to sight on Saturday, March 29, across all regions of the Arab and Islamic world. This is due to the moon setting before the sun, with the conjunction occurring after sunset. As a result, observing the crescent moon, whether by the naked eye, telescopes, or other means, will be unfeasible on March 29. For countries requiring an actual sighting to mark the start of Shawwal, Ramadan will likely extend to 30 days, with Eid Al Fitr falling on Monday, March 31. However, in some regions where the conjunction occurs before sunset, allowing the moon to set after sunset, some countries may choose to declare Eid on Sunday, March 30, following traditional moon-sighting practices. Notably, a partial solar eclipse will be visible at noon on Saturday in parts of the western Arab world, including Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia. This event serves as definitive proof that the cresce...