Skip to main content

Search continues for 22 after bulk carrier sinks off India

India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off ​the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged ‌cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said. The two rescued Chinese seafarers said ​the vessel developed a list on Friday and ​sank within eight minutes, forcing the crew to abandon ⁠the ship, Shyam Jagannathan, director general of India's Maritime Administration, ​told Reuters. Jagannathan said the chances of finding survivors generally fall ​sharply after 12 hours, but rescuers were continuing the search. Twenty-two crew members remain missing from the Ocean Winner, including 18 Chinese ​nationals, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi, according to ​the Indian Coast Guard. The Indian Navy is closely coordinating with the ‌Coast ⁠Guard to locate the remaining crew, the Navy said in a post on X. Read: 115 vessels, 2,500 seafarers evacuated from Strait of Hormuz: UN agency ...

Israeli army arrests 13 Palestinians as occupiers escalate attacks in West Bank

The Israeli army on Sunday arrested 13 Palestinians, including a child, during raids in the occupied West Bank, amid attacks by occupiers that included the burning of property and the destruction of agricultural land. Occupiers burned a residential room belonging to a Palestinian in the northern part of the town of Osarin, south of Nablus in the northern West Bank, local sources told Anadolu. They also set fire to a vehicle, partially burning it, and spray-painted racist slogans at the site, the sources added. In Bethlehem, Israeli occupiers attacked the Khala'il al-Louz area east of the city, damaging irrigation pipes used for crops, cutting down trees, and damaging Palestinian property and agricultural land. Read: ME powers condemn Israeli settlements Occupiers also uprooted olive and grape trees from Palestinian-owned land in the village of al-Minya, east of Bethlehem, according to the official Palestinian news agency Wafa. Meanwhile, Israeli forces detained two Palestinians, including a child, from the village of al-Rashaydeh in Bethlehem. In Qalqilya, the army arrested six Palestinians after raiding the city and searching homes in the Kafr Saba and al-Naqqar neighborhoods, according to Wafa. The army also rounded up five Palestinians from the city of Tulkarem in an incursion. In Ramallah, Israeli forces closed the western entrance to al-Mughayyir village, northeast of the city, preventing Palestinians from entering or leaving. They also subjected some Palestinians to field interrogations and fired tear gas toward vehicles. Read More: Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians Local sources told Anadolu that the western entrance is currently the village’s only access point after the Israeli army closed its eastern entrance on October 7, 2023. According to the same sources, Israeli occupiers burned a tent, equipment and animal feed belonging to a Palestinian farmer on the outskirts of Burqa village, east of Ramallah. The West Bank has witnessed a surge in occupier attacks and Israeli military raids since the outbreak of Israel’s war on the Gaza Strip in October 2023, amid Palestinian and international warnings over the consequences of the continued escalation.

from Latest World News, International News | Breaking World News https://ift.tt/6sbje2y

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At least 32 miners dead after bridge fails at cobalt site in southeast DR Congo

A bridge collapsed at a cobalt mine in southeast Democratic Republic of Congo killing at least 32 wildcat miners, a regional government official said Sunday. The bridge came down Saturday onto a flooded zone at the mine in Lualaba province, Roy Kaumba Mayonde, the provincial interior minister, told reporters. He said 32 bodies had been recovered and more were being searched for. The DRC produces more than 70 percent of the world supply of cobalt, which is essential for batteries used in electric cars, many laptop computers and mobile phones. More than 200,000 people are estimated to be working in giant illegal cobalt mines in the giant central African country. Local authorities said the bridge collapsed at the Kalando mine, about 42 kilometres (26 miles) southeast of the Lualaba provincial capital, Kolwezi. "Despite a formal ban on access to the site because of the heavy rain and the risk of a landslide, wildcat miners forced their way into the quarry," said Mayonde. He said ...

Indian devotees splurge on jets, gold idols as Hindu temple opens

The private jet parking lots at airports near the Indian city of Ayodhya are full and the shops have run out of gold-plated idols, as wealthy devotees prepare for the invite-only opening ceremony of one of Hinduism's holiest temples. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Asia's richest man Mukesh Ambani are among the 8,000 or so attendees at Monday's inauguration event for the Ram Temple, which devotees believe is built on the birthplace of Lord Ram, a sacred Hindu deity. The construction of the temple, which began after the Supreme Court awarded the site to Hindus in 2019 more than two decades after a Hindu mob razed a mosque there, triggering deadly riots, fulfils a key campaign promise of Modi and his Hindu nationalist party. Read BJP-promised temple transforms Ayodhya: Muslims, locals feel neglected The opening ceremony, organised by the trust that built the temple, comes months before a national election which the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party is widely expected to w...

Arab countries, Pakistan likely to observe Eid on same day

The International Astronomy Centre confirmed on Wednesday that the crescent moon of Shawwal will be impossible to sight on Saturday, March 29, across all regions of the Arab and Islamic world. This is due to the moon setting before the sun, with the conjunction occurring after sunset. As a result, observing the crescent moon, whether by the naked eye, telescopes, or other means, will be unfeasible on March 29. For countries requiring an actual sighting to mark the start of Shawwal, Ramadan will likely extend to 30 days, with Eid Al Fitr falling on Monday, March 31. However, in some regions where the conjunction occurs before sunset, allowing the moon to set after sunset, some countries may choose to declare Eid on Sunday, March 30, following traditional moon-sighting practices. Notably, a partial solar eclipse will be visible at noon on Saturday in parts of the western Arab world, including Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia. This event serves as definitive proof that the cresce...